Air Quality Studies
While we may be accustomed to smoky air in bars and gaming facilities, specific results from the tests are surprising. Almost all locations tested have unhealthy, very unhealthy or hazardous air quality according to EPA standards.
- In January, February, and December 2011, pre-ordinanceair monitoring was conducted in 17 Alexandria bars and gaming facilities where smoking was allowed.
- On average, this sample of 17Alexandria smoking bars and gaming facilities had hazardous air quality.
- On January 1, 2012, the Alexandria Smoke-free Air Ordinance went into effect.
- Post-ordinanceair monitoring was conducted in12Alexandria bars and gaming facilities on January 6, 2012.
- There was a97%reduction in pollution levels.
- Indoor air is now36 times cleaner.
- Pollution levels in smoke-free establishments are nearly as clean as outdoorair in Alexandria, LA.
- 27bars tested during April 2010.
- Out of the 27 bars sampled in our study,87%were considered unhealthy or worse.
- 41%of the bars had air quality considered hazardous.
- Air contaminants in non-smoking restaurants are almost98%less than the air contaminants in smoky bars.
- 27bars tested during December 2010 and January 2011.
- Out of the 27 bars sampled in our study,77%were considered unhealthy or worse.
- The air in the smoke-free bars was94%better.
- 17bars tested during January and February 2011.
- Out of the 17 bars sampled in our study,80%were considered unhealthy or worse.
- Air contaminants in smoke-free bars are almost96%less than the air contaminants in smoky bars.
- 4bars tested during June 2011.
- Out of the bars sampled in our study,100%were considered hazardous.
- Air contaminants in smoke-free bars are almost95%less than the air contaminants in smoky bars.